CFD submits to CM BSY the fact finding report of the recent D J Halli RiotsDate posted: September 4, 2020 | Short URL: https://samvada.org/?p=37220 | Share:
Citizens for Democracy (CFD) submitted Fact Finding Committee Report today to Hon’ble CM, Karnataka today. Hon CM, B S Yeddyurappa assured to convene a meeting with Home Minister, DGP and Commissioner of Police and initiate appropriate action immediately said the release from CFD. The members of the committee have visited the affected place and spoken to public and families of affected. Their detailed report throws more light on the incident.
On Aug 11, 2020 Bengaluru’s Deevara Jeevana Halli (DJ Halli) and Kadu Gondana Halli (KG Halli) witnessed riots in which are parts of the assembly constituency of Pulakeshinagar, an SC reserved constituency. MLA Akhanda Srinivasamurthy’s house, Naveen’s house as well as the local police station were set afire.
Citizens For Democracy(CFD) a platform of responsible citizens committed to democratic values, safety and security of the citizens of India. constituted a Fact Finding Committee to uncover the plot behind the riots. The Committee was chaired by a Retd. Judge Sri Srikanth Babaladi, and consisted of retired bureaucrats, journalists, advocates, professors and social workers as its members. The members were, Sri Madan Gopal, Retd IAS, Sri. Dr. R Raju, Retd. IFS, Sri. Dr. Prakash, Retd. IRS, Sri. M N Krishnamurthy, Retd. DGP, Sri. R K Mattoo, Journalist, Sri. Santhosh Thammaiah, Journalist, Sri. Dr. M Jayappa, Professor, Sri. Dr. H T Aravinda, Professor, Sri. Muniraju, Social worker, Smt. Kshama Nargund, AdvocateSri. Jerome Anto, Social worker.
VSK has received the copy of the report. Read the full report here: Below are the salient observations from the committee.
- That the riots were pre-planned and organised.
- The mob has specifically targeted certain prominent Hindus in the area.
- That the entire incident qualifies to be a riot against the state with the motive of reducing the faith of common people in the State.
- It could be seen from the FIRs and certain interactions with the victims, that Local people were also involved in carrying out this riot. The committee is of the opinion that the locals were not only involved in execution but were also aware about it in advance.
- Despite attempts being made to project the same as political rivalry, it was undoubtedly communally motivated. The Committee is of the opinion that based on the kind of houses that have been attacked and people who have been targeted, the motive of the riots could also be fear mongering so as to change the demography and turn the area into a Muslim majority one.
- The Committee is of the opinion that SDPI and PFI are involved in planning and execution of this incident.
The Committee has a set of recommendations to the State Government:
- All the costs that have been incurred by the State and private persons have to be recovered by attaching the property of the rioters.
- The pattern of the riots is common with that of Delhi and Sweden. Therefore, it is imperative for the state to investigate the incident holistically and not consider them to be isolated and local.
- The funding received by individuals and religious extremist organisations who are involved in anti-social activities be tracked and continuously monitored by involving the NIA.
- Potential areas that might face such communal tensions must be identified by the Police in advance and short-term and long-term plans must be made to curb such tensions.
- Cyber dome must be established so as to ensure that Social Media is not used for hate mongering against any religion, race, class, sect etc.
- It is recommended that drug menace be curbed with iron fists.
- It is further recommended that intelligence generation mechanisms have to be strengthened by the Police at various levels so as to prevent the occurrence of any such riots.
- With the abolition of Section 66A of Information Technology Act, 2000, a mechanism has to be evolved to prevent and prosecute derogatory, abusive and hate content targeting any religion, race, class, organisation or sect of people.