Monday, September 9th, 2013 : An Analysis by INDIAWIRES
Is a series of rape incidents and support of politicians to the accused a reason behind communal riots happening in Muzaffarnagar? If you go through recent incidents happened in the town, such a question definitely arises. Before concluding that an eve-teasing or a youtube video caused the violence, we need to go back to these incidents happened in last one year.
Here is a list of such incidents reported.
- Dec 21 2012: Muzaffarnagar panchayat offers rape victim Rs 1.5 lakh to keep quiet (Source)
- Dec 24 2012: Minor girl gang-raped by three youths in Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- Dec 29, 2012: Girl, school teacher sexually assaulted (Source)
- Dec 30, 2012: Two women injured in acid attack in Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- Feb 18, 2013: Woman gang-raped by four men, filmed in Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- Apr 3, 2013 Acid attack on three teachers, student in Muzaffarnagar in UP (Source)
- June 03, 2013: Minor girl raped Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- July 8, 2013: Man shot dead for demanding arrest of gangrape accused (Source)
- July 29 2013: Woman forcibly married and gang-raped as ‘honour’ punishment after her brother eloped with village girl (Source)
- Aug 24, 2013: Class IX student raped by youth in Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- Aug 23 2012: Schoolgirl gangraped by 5 youths in Muzaffarnagar (Source)
- Aug 30, 2013: Muslim cleric arrested for abducting 11-year-old girl (Source)
- August 27, 2013: In Kawal village, an eve-teasing incident led to clash, burning bikes and the murders of three youths
- Aug 28, 2013: A mob returning from the cremation ground indulges in arson.
- Aug 29, 2013: Stoning between both sides. Women devotees molested near a place of worship.
- Aug 30, 2013: Huge mob assembles at a mosque in Shaheed Chowk after Friday prayers.
- Aug 31, 2013: Nearly 40,000 people assemble at Nangla Mandoud Panchayat. Mob attacks a family going in a car on Khatima road, sets fire to their car.
- Sept 1, 2013: Police files FIRs against leaders who had spoken at meetings in Shahid Chowk and Nangla Mandoud. Affected family in Malikpura threatens self-immolation.
- Sept 2, 2013: Walls of places of atemple broken in Sanjhak and Titavi. BJP calls Muzaffarnagar bandh.
- Sept 3, 2013: Case filed for circulating fake video of Kawal incident. Violence in Shamli town.
- Sept 4, 2013: Sporadic violence in Muzaffarnagar.
- Sept 5, 2013: Mahabandh call given across Muzaffarnagar district. The Khap panchayat then announced to organize a ‘Bahu Beti Samaan Bachaoi Mahapanchyat‘ on September 7, at Nagla Mandaur
- Sept 7, 2013: The panchayat was organized by the Jat community at Nagla Mandaur, 20 km from Muzaffarnagar city, where over 1.2 lakh people participated. People going to panchayat attacked.
- Firing in Muzaffarnagar town as stoning, arson go unabated. Army called in and town put under indefinite curfew. 21 killed, more than a score injured in violence.
- 20-year old woman refuses to marry the unstable boy with whom she got engagement at the age of 5
- UP: Rs.50,000, a Panchayat’s Solution for Rape
- Men on bike throw acid at four sisters in Uttar Pradesh; one critical
- J&K: State Government to Bear Expenses of Acid Attack Victim
- Violence in UP Over Cow Slaughter, FIR Against 650 ‘Unidentified’ People
Leave a Reply